Jude’s Recap Fundraiser for Black Lives Matter
[Wing: I want to open this by saying upfront that Devil’s Elbow stands with Black Lives Matter around the world. If Black lives don’t matter, no lives matter, and Black lives have long been forfeit in a world built on systemic racism. Black lives matter. All Black lives.]
Hey everyone, Jude here. We have a lot of fun on Devil’s Elbow but now I’d like to chat with you all on something serious.
As most of you are probably aware, the world’s a pile of shit and things don’t look good on the horizon. We’ve been dealing with a global pandemic thanks to COVID-19 and now with the murders of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor [Wing: Among many, many, many others.], protests have begun all over the world against police brutality and systematic racism. On top of that, Yemen’s on the brink of destruction and the people of the Philippines are fighting against a fascist “anti-terror” bill. That’s not even mention what the indigenous communities of North America are dealing with due to both the pandemic and our fascist government. [Wing: As well as indigenous communities around the world.]
Many of us fear we won’t live to see 2021, and even if we do it’ll most likely be worse than right now.
To that end, for the post couple of months I’ve been trying to do what I can to help. Aside from donating my own money I’ve been offering fan fiction commissions and liveblog slots on my tumblr account to raise donations. I’ve mentioned this in a couple of my posts, but now I’m making an official announcement to the Devil’s Elbow audience at large.
To help with the state of the world, I am officially offering the option for you, our readers, to commission a recap of your choosing in exchange for a donation to help any of the organizations or programs providing relief and support to the state of the world. I’ve already received donations for two recaps, “Return to HorrorLand” and “Mayhem on Mackinac Island,” and will be offering this service for as long as necessary.
So if you’d like to see me recap your favorite or least favorite Goosebumps book, or maybe something rare from the Spinetinglers series or some equally obscure series, or maybe a standalone novel such as Zilpha Keatley Snyder’s The Egypt Game or Joseph Bruchac’s Skeleton Man, this is your chance to make it a reality and do some good in the process.
This link to my tumblr account will bring you to a list of every YA horror book I currently own with mentions of what books I’ve already recapped.
Below you’ll find the rules of donating and the rules of recapping.
The Rules of Donating
- In exchange for a single donation of $25 or more to any organization or fund helping with Black Lives Matter, the Yemen crisis, the Philippines crisis, COVID relief, or any relief funds geared towards Native American and indigenous communities, I will recap a single book, TV episode, or comic book of your choice.
- For a donation of $50 or more, I will recap either two books, two TV episodes, two comics, or a full length movie of your choice.
- I am willing to offer deals on recapping three book trilogies such as 99 Fear Street or Fear Street Cheerleaders as well as two-part books like “Invasion of the Body Squeezers” and “Horror Hotel.”
- A timestamped receipt or screenshot of receipt must be sent to me through twitter, tumblr, or to my email address of HawaiiPJ1959@Gmail.com
The Rules of Recapping
- I need to be able to access the property you want me to recap. If I can’t get a copy of the book or access to the TV episode, movie, or comic in question, I can’t recap it. So hard to find and expensive books like Bone Chillers’ “Why I Quit The Baby-Sitters Club,” Give Yourself Goosebumps’ “Revenge of the Body Squeezers,” and “The Jungle” from Doomsday Mall are off the table unless you can send me a copy or I can get one cheap.
- I cannot do a recap of a book or property that was already recapped on Devil’s Elbow, by me or by any of the other recappers. Like, I can’t do a second recap of “Ghost Camp” or MY version of recapping something Wing or the others already recapped such as The Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike.
- I can’t recap for franchises that have already been claimed by the other recappers on Devil’s Elbow, such as Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
- I can’t recap single entry books that the other recappers have already discussed recapping themselves. While I’m mainly the one handling Goosebumps, I may have to double check regarding Fear Street books, any other Point Horror book like Pool Party by Linda Cargill, or any of Christopher Pike’s standalone novels such as Monster or Master of Murder.
- I can’t recap sequel books if I haven’t already recapped the books that came before them. For example, I can’t recap “Return to Terror Tower” if I haven’t recapped “A Night in Terror Tower,” or “The Haunted Mask II” if I haven’t done “The Haunted Mask.” The books in the “Night of the Living Dummy” and “Monster Blood” arcs are exempt from this rule alongside “Wanted: The Haunted Mask.”
- If you want me to recap any of the Goosebumps HorrorLand books, I can only recap any of books #13-17 since the majority of the series is part of one big story.
- If you’re not happy with the finished recap I will personally pay back the money you donated.