So, Wing and I have decided to use counters in our recaps going forwards, just to see how often tropes crop up and which books/authors are the worst offenders. I suppose this means we’re going back through our old recaps and adding them in. Believe it or not, Wing and I lead very busy lives.
Edit: Wing and Dove have already, after only a week, added four more counters.
The counters may not be entirely accurate for any books before Arcadia 2: Room 13, because we brought them in, and then scored previous books based on our recaps. I happen to know that Beach House has dozens of “Dun-Dun-DUNNNNN!”, but I got bored of mentioning them all the time.
The terms and definitions are as follows (more as they become necessary):
- #FirstWorldProblems (3)If you need this explaining, you probably live a life filled with #FirstWorldProblems
- DED FROM STUPID (68)Exactly what it says on the tin. If you do not understand this trope, then you are the cause of this trope.
- detail your disability to me (2)
- Dexter would not pull this shit (6)When the idiotic killer leaves evidence around to fuck with the protagonist, rather than cleaning up after him/herself and trying to get away with it.
Yes, I know there is a later episode where Dexter does, in fact, leave a body lying around. Let’s move on.
- disobey your parents? you gonna die! (2)
- Dun-Dun-DUNNNNN! (110)Cliffhanger endings of chapters for no reason other than to build false tension and piss Dove and Wing the hell off.
- Fuck My Little Pony! Friendship is not magic! (51)(previously All my friends are a bag of dicks) Something strange and evil is happening. Since I hate all of my BFFs, it’s bound to be one of them. This trope changed to a much cooler (and grammatically correct) phrase on 23 August 2014. Anything before that might have the old trope name in the post, but will be appropriately tagged in the trope-specific tag list.
- I beat you because I love you (38)Abusive relationships in any way, shape or form.
- I hate the hot chick! (And she hates me.) (24)Because girls can’t be friends, AMIRIGHT? For some reason, this girl, who is utterly desirable in the looks department, hates the ever-loving fuck out of our protagonist. And, despite claiming to not care, our protagonist makes digs about her all the time.
- Incest is relative (14)Yeah, so his dad is dating my mom, but I would totally give him one.
- Oh you wacky kids with your hi-jinks and your pranks (55)“You say you found a corpse of a thirteen year old girl on the beach? Oh, you’re just pulling my leg.”
When the protagonist experiences something genuinely frightening, such as finding a corpse, or that someone has been in their room while they were home alone, and it is treated as an attention-seeking prank.
Or, when something is done that is written off as a prank or a joke, but is actually pretty damned spiteful.